Sunday, January 4, 2009

Things they never tell you at baby school

So I've decided there are a whole lot of things that people never tell parents-to-be before they join the parent club. Some are obvious. Others aren't. Either way, below is subset of things I've observed that no one told me.
  1. 7:45 PM is an acceptable bed time. The thought goes something like, "If I go to bed now, I might actually get 8 or 9 hours of sleep."
  2. TiVo is a must. I mean a must (actually, my coworkers tried to tell me how great TiVo was, but I was too cheap to listen. Once I had Emmaline, I was all ears).
  3. Building on #1 & #2, if a live sporting event goes past the above bedtime, simply TiVo it and watch it the next morning at 5:30 AM, you'll be up.
  4. Kids don't watch as much Sesame Street as they used to. When I was a kid, that's what I watched, although that's all there was at the time. Kids just don't watch Sesame Street nearly as much. For example, I've yet to find anyone that knows about Murray & his Sheep. Which is an excellent bit. Further, the amount of cameos on that show is really amazing.
  5. A lot of kid shows are trippy. Sesame Street is certainly not excluded. They have all these weird little short segments of stop motion photography. Then there is Yo Gabba Gabba. That crap is trippy with a capital T (this fact is also covered here).
  6. As a parent you get peed on and barfed on a lot. Just accept it. Emmaline is almost 14 months old, and I bet we average 3 times a week for these unexpected events.
  7. There are a lot of baths, a lot of times more than once a day. Whether the little one is dirty or not, it passes time, and they are humored, a perfect combination.
I'm sure this list will expand, but these are my observations at 14 months.

4 comments:

Emily said...

David got a YGG sweatshirt from my grandma for Christmas. I am 100% positive that she has never seen the show, but probably thought the robot looked really "cool."

My non-negotiable is the car DVD player: oh how I LOVE it.

Thomas said...

Another thing you don't understand until you're a parent: that you can alternately feel the most love, most frustration, most thankful, and most filled with despair that you have ever felt in your life, within a few hours time on any given day. Case in point: Ella's bedtime hour. Keep up the list Brett! You guys are doing great :)

Anonymous said...

surprisingly this doesn't completely scare me, but I will not be showing this one to Mike. What he doesn't know, won't hurt him :)

Thomas said...

Decorating with tents, baskets, plastic tubs, pink horses and "sorted piles" becomes accaptable in EVERY ROOM!!! Football basement with 50 inch team...don't forget your 6 foot Dora tent with 5 different princess dresses. Library and lounging room...why are there 5 baskets of books, puzzle and plastic ducks. Romantic, loving bedroom...hello giant Thumper, how about you run with Bambi in the meadow and let me sleep!
Honestly, wouldn't have it any other way though...